Old 25-06-2015, 02:25 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Advice sought: broccoli heading out too soon

On 6/24/2015 6:32 PM, Fran Farmer wrote:
On 24/06/2015 2:39 PM, Mike Spencer wrote:
Two years now, most broccoli plants have headed out very early, giving
2" to 4" heads. In the past, with same or similar soil and
manure, we've flourishing plants that yield 12" to 14" heads.

Climate in NS is a bit wetter and usually a bit warmer than western
Massachusetts or southern NH. We've had an unusually chilly and wet
spring this year (after the seedlings were in) but not last year.

Any suggestions to remedy this? Identify the likely cause?

Just harvest the heads when they are ready and leave the stump in the
ground and then keep harvesting as new nubbeny headlets form. I know a
woman who harvested from her broccoli plants for 3 full years before she
had to take them out.

We do that until the plants die back. I may have mentioned this before
but here goes: we have Bright Lights Swiss Chard planted in a flower bed
next to the front porch. We planted the chard in early May 2013, it is
still producing. We cut it back every couple of weeks and eat the
cuttings, the plants keep producing. Luckily the chard only gets
sunshine from about 0600 until 1200 and is then in shade for the rest of
the day. We live in USDA Heat Zone 8b, Harris Cty, Texas and it gets up
into the low nineties F nowadays.