Old 27-06-2015, 01:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Spider[_3_] Spider[_3_] is offline

Default Please advise on these apple trees

On 23/06/2015 11:30, AL_n wrote: Hi folks,

I have posted two photos of two young apple trees he

http://tinyurl.com/qcdu8ar

My questions are stated there too:
1) Can I prune the one in the top phot to encourage it to grow upwards
rather than outwards? If so, How much should I remove from the side
branches? (The tree is about 2m tall and was planted about a year ago.)

2) What are the brown patches on the tree in the second photo? Should I
take remedial action, and if so, what?

Many thanks!

Al

Hi Alan,

re Q1: You appear to have an apple on very dwarfing rootstock, so
you're never going to have a truly tall tree, so I hope that's not the
plan. If you want to shape the tree, the best thing you can do at the
moment is to accept the strong and (more-or-less) central stem as your
leader (the main trunk, as it were). Without piercing the rootstock,
put in a tall stake in line with that leader, then tie in the stem to
help straighten it up. Don't forget the ties are there - I've seen many
trees critically damaged because a tie wasn't loosened in time!
You may also, if you wish, trim back the lower side branches *but do not
remove them*; just tip them back a little. If you know the varietal
name of your apple, then check whether it is tip or spur bearing, as
this will inform the way you prune it forever. If you cut a tip-bearing
tree back too hard, you will remove all the fruiting wood for that year,
so it's quite important. Spur-bearers are easier to prune and the
chances are this is what you have. Worth checking though.

re Q2: I'm not sure what the lesions are on your apple leaves, but the
tree does look generally healthy, so I wouldn't worry too much. Just
keep an eye on it. In autumn, all the leaves will fall anyway so, if you
have any doubts about disease or pests then make sure you remove all the
fallen leaves promptly to prevent reinfection of the tree.
It may just be that your tree is stressed with the droughty weather
we're (*I'm*!) having, so give it plenty of water.
I confess I'm frantically busy at the moment, but will try and learn
what that leaf problem is - not least because I have a crab apple which
may suffer similar problems in the future.

It would help your tree hugely if you could clear the grass away from
the base of the tree. A 3ft/1mtr circle of clear ground around the base
of the trunk is recommended. The grass and weeds are currently
competing for water and food, so are substantially adding to the stress
of your tree.

Hope this helps.
--
Spider.