Old 29-06-2015, 03:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Andy Wilkes Andy Wilkes is offline

Default Please advise on these apple trees

On 29/06/2015 12:06, AL_n wrote:
I've also heard that orange cox pippins can be disease-prone

Cox in general do seem to suffer a fair bit - I've got three and they
are the only apple trees I have that seem to be highly susceptible to
canker. they can also be badly affected by insects, often resulting in
leaf curl and early leaf drop. More of the fruit also seems to be
susceptible to damage.

That said, they are still reasonably prolific and IMO, the taste of a
good cox is up there with the absolute best. They might not be the
longest living fruit trees (due to the above) but I would hate to be
without them.

I don't have a lot of experience in the alternatives, so I'd be
interested in hearing of other eaters with something like their
combination of sweet/sharp juiciness and vibrant apple flavour.

--
Regards andy