Old 29-06-2015, 10:14 PM
Bigal Bigal is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Wilkes View Post
On 26/06/2015 10:07, Syke wrote:

-- I have two Gro-bags with two plants in each, and when pinching off
the side shoots of one (Alicante), I absentmindedly pinched off the main
shoot. Will it be worth keeping or should I replace it (if it's not too
late)?

The main plant might be a little reduced, but the sideshoot should
become the main stem. You could have also put the bit you cut off (if
it wasn't dried out) in water where it would grow roots. I've done this
a number of times (but usually earlier in the season) and they always
end up producing tomatoes - but not as many as a main plant.

--
regards andy
Sometime you get an unusual tomato plant, a good cropper or a bit special. Plant some side shoots towards the end of the season (not too late). l put half a dozen to a six inch pot on a windowsill in a warm room or in a heated greenhouse. When they start growing in the spring, look out for more sideshoots and plant these. These will be your tomatoes for the coming year. A simple form of cloning that works. The over wintering side shoots will produce flowers and tomatoes all be it very small but very edible in April.