Old 30-06-2015, 12:24 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default First garlic harvest

On 6/29/2015 3:52 PM, songbird wrote:
George Shirley wrote:
We grow both garlic and onion chives, mostly around our fruit trees as
they are supposed to keep borers away from the tree. So far it has
worked. In addition we plant scallions, bunching onions, and regular
onions. Generally we plant a few Texas 1015Y sweet onions too. Some of
our bunching onions are the children of some a friend gave me over
twenty years ago. Pull a bunch, put one or two back in the ground and
cut the top off above the start of green. So far so good.

garlic chives are a whole different plant than
pulling garlic early to eat. we planted some
garlic chives some years ago and i've yet to even
try them, but i sure do like the plant and the
flowers.

We had another horizontal rain burst last evening, scared the heck out
of us as we were sitting on the back porch when it hit. Got another two
inches of rain out of it plus some corn stalks blown over.

those sure can scare the heck out of a person and
make them run for the basement! glad you didn't
have worse damage.

today, just had a bit of rain come through from the SE
(which is very rare) -- looks like more may come through
later on when the SE stuff runs into storms coming from
the NW. interesting to see on the radar storms moving
from the SE to the NW and then also a few miles below
storms going from the W to the E.

the forecast only had a 30% chance of rain for us so
i watered earlier in the day because the seeds needed to
be moistened anyways.

songbird

I gave up on garlic in the garden years ago, did have some success with
elephant garlic and everyone in the family seemed to like the mild
variety. The chives do well for us though.