Old 01-07-2015, 06:19 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Mike Spencer Mike Spencer is offline

Default First garlic harvest

songbird writes:

Gary Woods wrote:

Keep the tops on, if your dirt is as sticky as mine, wash the bulbs with a
garden hose nozzle; spread out on a screen in the shade until dry to the
touch. Then tie up in bunches of 25 or so and hang up in the shade (my
shed has a bunch of nails in the rafters for this), and let cure for a few
weeks. Then trim and enjoy!

when do you take the roots off?

After drying as above for a few weeks, I cut the tops down to about
12", tie in bundles and hang in the kitchen for use. I don't take the
roots off. Our soil pretty loose and friable, not sticky, so no wash
step is needed.

Do that about the same time I pick out the cloves for the next
planting, November here when it's getting cold and wet but not yet
freezing.

--
Mike Spencer Nova Scotia, Canada