Old 03-07-2015, 06:07 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden,alt.home.repair

Default Rat deterent?

On Fri, 03 Jul 2015 04:33:47 -0500, Snuffy "Hub Cap" McKinney
wrote:

I'm next to a field and the little rat critters always eat half the
fruit or more every year. Too many in the field for traps or poison to
have much effect. I read where rodents hear higher frequencies than
dogs & cats, and am wondering if a whistle in that range might keep them
away without irritating the pets next door?

Or some other way to keep them out of the trees? Maybe trimming the
trees so that the limbs are not touching anything might work for some
trees, but not practical for all of them. And then wrapping aluminum
foil or some other guard around the trunks?

We usually had stray cats on the farm to keep the rat, mice and
ground squirrel population down. The strays with kittens seemed to
be the best hunters.
Feeding them made them lazy just as it does with humans.