Old 04-07-2015, 04:04 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Climbing fig not attaching to wall

On 7/3/2015 4:09 PM, Champagne4lulu wrote:
Hello! Complete novice gardener here and usually I unintentionally kill
everything I touch this time however I am off to a better start and
everything seems to be doing okay. So far.

I have an ugly cement board fence that I'm trying to cover with creeping
fig. It's potted in a large planter and is growing well, just not
attaching to the wall. It's been in for about 4 weeks. Im in Australia
so it's winter and I know growth is probably slower now. Im more
concerned about it not attaching. Is this normal for 4 weeks in or could
it be the cement board it doesn't like? Should I put up some chicken
wire to help it along?

I've recently topped soil with a mushroom mulch and occasionally
fertilise with power feed which it seems to like. Thoughts??

Give it time. It will cover the wall. Then it will destroy the wall
unless winter frosts trim it.

--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean, see