Old 05-07-2015, 09:27 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Tomato plants

"Judith in England" wrote in message
On Thu, 02 Jul 2015 09:24:41 +0100, Andy Wilkes
wrote:

On 01/07/2015 09:57, David Hill wrote:
On 26/06/2015 10:07, Syke wrote:

You can grow a side shoot on quite easily to replace the main shoot, in
fact I have often taken a side shoot from an adjacent plant to fill in a
gap caused by loosing a plant.

I've also managed to fix a chopped off major stem before - by wrapping
with sellotape and splinting! Other than a knobbly joint, by the end of
the season it was impossible to tell there had been an issue.

I have done it when the stem was not totally spliced through : very
successful.

But: I have not succeeded when the stem had been cut in two. Perhaps you
have
to get the cross-sections lined up spot on (thinking of my O-level
iology -
Xylem in perfect line ??)

Not sure how exact you have to be, I bought a packet of small plastic clips
which they use for grafting toms (I wanted to see if the work with
clematis - they don't!) I practiced on tomatoes and it was pretty easy to
do, I have to say I am not entirely sure why they do it or what benefits it
bestows.

--
Charlie, Gardening in Cornwall
and Lapageria rosea cvs