Old 05-07-2015, 02:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Spider[_3_] Spider[_3_] is offline

Default Sorry folks, I am still alive!!!

On 04/07/2015 21:30, Alan Holmes wrote:

Been having a discussion (argument) about what to compost, so what stuff
should one compost or not?

Absolutely need an answer!

Alan

Welcome back, Alan! Nice to know you're still with us.

I have five bins at the moment and they make good compost:~)).
I compost garden waste inc. grass clippings, weeds (even perennial weeds
with the roots chopped off); lots of cardboard (not shiny printfed
stuff) and papier mache packaging, which the worms love and it breaks
down well (I find quality paper doesn't break down as quickly, but
scrunched up newspaper is fine); tea bags, despite the persisting bag;
kitchen waste (but no meat products and no fat); citrus and onion
peelings I spread thinly as my worms are a bit sniffy about them.
Potato peelings once zapped in the microwave for a minute, otherwise
they sprout and persist. I don't put bread or pastry in, as these can
attract rats, and they're better offered to birds. I occasionally put
in a sprinkle of pelleted chicken poo which seems to hurry things along
nicely. I've even been know to put ants in when they become a nuisance.
They break the compost down really well. When you want to get rid of
them, simply add lots of water which they don't like, or wait till they
die naturally as winter approaches.

It would be interesting to know what your heated discussion brought up
and villified .. and why.

--
Spider.
On high ground in SE London