Old 05-07-2015, 08:30 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden,alt.home.repair

Default Rat deterent?

On Sun, 5 Jul 2015 08:05:25 -0700, "Snuffy \"Hub Cap\" McKinney"
wrote:

wrote in message ...
On Fri, 3 Jul 2015 02:33:47 -0700, "Snuffy \"Hub Cap\" McKinney"
wrote:

I'm next to a field and the little rat critters always eat half the fruit or more every year. Too many in the field for traps or poison to have much effect. I read where rodents hear higher frequencies than dogs & cats, and am wondering if a whistle in that range might keep them away without irritating the pets next door?

Or some other way to keep them out of the trees? Maybe trimming the trees so that the limbs are not touching anything might work for some trees, but not practical for all of them. And then wrapping aluminum foil or some other guard around the trunks?

a couple of Jack Russels will make a dent in the problem.

I had one of these rat terriers years ago and come to think of it never saw a rodent. Good animal but kind of yappy and moody - liked to snip at you. Training helped but didn't change the attitude problem.

No snakes here - lovely Miseries goes nuts at the sight of a garden spider or slug...

The definition of a Jack Russel IS attitude. Another definition is
"all heart and mouth" They make the energizer bunny look lazy. They
will chase a ball untill your arm falls off, and they are loyal almost
to a fault. Just don't **** one off!!!