Old 05-07-2015, 06:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
AL_n AL_n is offline

Default Please advise on these apple trees

Spider wrote in
:

I'm trying to think where there is 'high ground' in SE London! I
remember Blackheath Hill which was right on my doorstep in 1980, and
also Crystal Palace, which I could see in the distance from my
window, which seemed to be on a hill but can't remember much else in
the way of hills in that segment of London.

As you say, there are those two hills and one of them is 'mine'! ;~))

That's amazing! I'm not usually that clever! ;-) That means we might have
been neighbours at one time...

Anyway, yes I am enjoying the West Country, because now I have a fabulous
peaceful cottage in a crime-free area that backs onto the sea. However, I
do miss the commercial, business and social richness of the Big Smoke. But,
hey, it seems you can have one or the other. For better or worse, I chose
the latter. But who knows I might still end up back in London!

Regarding the tree, I made a new decision today. I was browsing in a garden
centre and found a plum tree that is around 10ft tall for £9.99 so I took a
chance and went for it. What sold me on it (apart from the price) was that
the tag says it'll grow to 4mtrs, which is ideal. With a bit of luck it
will produce some fruit and some attractive blossoms too. But if not,I
don't care because I only really need it for shade. It's the common-or
garden Victoria plum. I don't know if it needs other plum trees in the
vicinity in order to pollinate.

~Al