Old 07-07-2015, 03:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default oxygen saturation in water butts

On Tue, 07 Jul 2015 08:12:04 +0100, Martin Brown wrote:

I am not convinced that that many plants need their roots looking after
so carefully. Some orchids and cacti have very high root oxygen
requirements but most things can get by with some flooding.

It is very important for maples, which is mostly what I grow in pots.
It's pretty easy to see when you try to grow one in dense, water-logged
soil. Anyone growing maples knows about this.

Even worse that established grafts is trying to bring up selected
seedlings or understock.

-E

--
Gardening in Lower Normandy