Old 07-07-2015, 05:18 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Gravel or pebbles

On 7/4/2015 9:12 AM, Bob F wrote:
David E. Ross wrote:
On 7/3/2015 5:51 PM, Hypatia Nachshon wrote:

I am hurrying to get City rebate for removing lawn before they run
out of money.

The curse of this street is horrible tree that sheds needles, sharp
seeds, and sap, and obscures plantings. Everybody hates them. City
will not remove.

My neighbor took out his grass and spread mulch, but his new "lawn"
is immediately covered with needles. It looks awful as he knew going
in.

Needles cannot be removed from mulch with blower. I just spent an
hour cleaning out my beds by hand.

To the point: I am considering either pebbles or gravel with a few
drought-adapted large plants. Yes I know...

I THINK one could blow needles off pebbles. Could one do it off
gravel?

Pebbles more expensive than gravel?

Any experience/advice gratefully received,

I asked my favorite landscape contractor about placing pea gravel in
my parkway (aka verge, parking strip, the space between the sidewalk
and the curb). He said that 1/2-inch or 3/4-inch gravel would be
easier to keep clean.

And there's nothing nicer than hot gravel to improve a hot summer day.

Given the spread of the street tree (mention of which you snipped), the
gravel will be in shade most of the day.

--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean, see