Old 08-07-2015, 09:24 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default oxygen saturation in water butts

In article ,
Fran Farmer wrote:

I'm not finding much information on root oxygenation. I'm only finding
information in hydroponics sites (which accords with the indoor growers
of certain substances as a source) but that doesn't seem to have a great
deal of application to gardens or my water tanks (=huge butts). I'll
keep hunting.

Try looking for root aeration.

A quick update: I have had absolutely no luck at all using "root
aeration" as a search criteria to find any information that sheds light
on the OP's question about oxygen in water.

"Root aeration" search results only show information about getting
oxygen to the roots of plants not "oxygen in water" getting to the roots.

It seems that "root aeration" does not equate to "oxygen saturation in
water". I've decided to become unfixated on the issue as I suspect it's
not important unless I want to go into hydroponics.

I probably could, but would have to search for research papers, and
it would not be quick. No, I don't know what research has been done.
This is what I believe, from prior reading.

They don't equate, but are related. You need a lot of oxygen in the
water only if there is no air getting to the roots - as you say, that
is generally important only in hydroponics (and for water plants).

I can, however, believe that the hydrogen peroxide trick helps under
some circumstances, possibly including pot plants with broken-down
peat-based compost.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.