Old 08-07-2015, 03:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Janet Janet is offline

Default What to ompost [Was: Sorry folks, I am still alive!!!]

In article ,
says...

In article ,
Andy Wilkes wrote:
On 07/07/2015 18:11, Christina Websell wrote:
I'm not sure what "synthetic dust" could be present in my house to make the
vacuum cleaner fluff dangerous to compost. What*is* synthetic dust? I
want to know too.

Dust made up of fine particles of synthetic materials

But I think Janet's comment was around the use of 'synthetical' - which
probably resulted from the fact that Michael's first language (and
prtobably second) isn't English. However, he does speak it (well, write
it - I haven't heard him speak) better than a significant number of
native English speakers I've come across.

The English language is defined by its usage and, the older I get,
the less I am worried by such usages in 'conversational' contexts.
"Synthetic dust" is clear and concise, in context, though I agree
that strictly it means something else.

It wasn't the language, just curiosity about the source of synthetics
in the contents of a domestic vacuum cleaner.

Janet.