Old 11-07-2015, 09:54 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
songbird[_2_] songbird[_2_] is offline

Default carrot and radish tops

George Shirley wrote:
We compost newspapers regularly bird. I run them through the paper
shredder so they compost faster. The paper is no longer made with
dangerous chemicals and the ink is made of burned pine resin and soy
oil. Even the comic pages are now made with clay colors versus the old
dangerous colors.

Had a client some years ago that was a paper mill plus made the
soy/resin ink, Arizona Chemicals if I remember correctly. I haven't
worried about the chemicals in paper since then. Been using them for at
least twenty years with no problems whatsoever. If you're worried query
your local newspaper as to chemicals.

George, i'm not worried too much about the inks or
the paper i just dislike the way it smells when it
gets wet. instead i keep it for the times when i'm
smothering weeds with cardboard and put the newspapers
in another layer down before the cardboard. at least
then i don't have to smell it.

songbird