Old 14-07-2015, 10:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Any idea what type of bee this is?

"Nick" wrote in message
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...Bees%20pic.jpg

pic is clean of any nasties.

My little flock of sunflowers is just starting to blossom.
This evening I was amazed to see the few opening blooms attracting more
than a few bees, I think.
Quite small creatures, probably slightly more than 1cm in length at most.
I haven't noticed such around the place before although I grow sunflowers
most years. I like them, the grandchildren like them. Good stuff
generally. I am not blessed with green fingers.

Any idea what these insects might be please.

Many thanks,
Nick.

As others have said its a hoverfly, which species I don't know but most of
them seem very attracted to the colour yellow.

--
Charlie, Gardening in Cornwall
and Lapageria rosea cvs