Old 16-07-2015, 01:32 PM posted to rec.gardens
Frank Frank is offline

Default Japanese beetle traps - do they attract more bugs to your garden?

On 7/15/2015 9:50 AM, songbird wrote:
passerby wrote:
So, what's the word on usefulness of the traps in the gardening community?

no experience with the traps, but even the beetles
themselves will attract other beetles.

last year i had a large infestation on some wild
grape vines. after hand picking them off each day
they'd still come back from the surrounding area.

i see they are now coming back again this year
but the numbers don't seem to be as many. i'll keep
picking them off the grape vines and as i see them
on the garden plants and some flowers (hollyhocks and
geraniums they seem to like too besides the grape
vine). in the gardens i mostly try to keep them
from eating all the bean plants.

songbird

Many years ago when traps came out I tried one near my grapes and
discovered the mistake to put the trap near the grapes.