Old 16-07-2015, 08:39 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Drew Lawson[_2_] Drew Lawson[_2_] is offline

Default Damned Leaf Spot

In article
"Terry Coombs" writes:
Drew Lawson wrote:
Sigh. It seems that I get a second year of tomato leaf spot.

That's what my tomato plants look like ! Copper sulphate , you say ? Mine
are pretty bad , look like stems with a few leaves . Gotta get some of that
stuff , I was told it was likely spotted leaf wilt , a viral problem .
Will dusting with sulphur help ?

I don't think sulphur will help with viruses, but I don't know.
I'm mostly familiar with it as a fungicide.

Tomato leaf spot is a fungal problem, with spores splashed from
infected leaves to uninfected, so the problem mostly climbs up as
the plant grows. The copper sulphate worked well on it last year,
but my experience is that it suppresses the spread rather than
killing off the problem. So this year, I will keep spraying for
the rest of the season. What I have is a powder/dust, and I mix
it in a 1500ml hand sprayer.

I'm a tree-hugging sort, but don't mess with my tomatoes.

--
Drew Lawson So risk all or don't risk anything
You can lose all the same