Old 18-07-2015, 02:08 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
songbird[_2_] songbird[_2_] is offline

Default Damned Leaf Spot

Terry Coombs wrote:
songbird wrote:
Terry Coombs wrote:
I'm even more confused .

do you have fruit on the plants that is fairly
good sized already?

Yes , and some has been picked , more is ready/almost ready .

then you're at least going to get a harvest,
those that are big enough can be set aside in
the garage or someplace and they'll eventually
ripen. not quite as good as vine ripened but
usually acceptable for sauces or ...

we've done that some years when the plants
have dropped their leaves due to blights. i've
never bothered to spray, but mulching to prevent
leaf splash and removing leaves from the lower
part of the plants didn't make any difference.

the challenge was finding enough space to set
them out (on old towels so they'd not rot) in the
garage, but most come through just fine in time.
a few might rot anyways. we'd go through them
once in a while to find them and get them off
the tables.

Ma had the idea that we should set them in the
sun, but that is not a good idea once the tomato
is off the plant. she still does it by setting
them on the window sill... ah well, can't change
habits of some folks sometimes.

songbird