Old 19-07-2015, 10:08 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
stuart noble stuart noble is offline

Default trees in the park

On 19/07/2015 03:59, Fran Farmer wrote:
On 18/07/2015 9:56 PM, Chris Hogg wrote:
On Sat, 18 Jul 2015 11:41:03 +0100, stuart noble
wrote:

Every time I stroll round a London park I'm frustrated by not knowing
the names of the trees, particularly those that have obviously been
around for ever. There is one in flower in St.James Park at the moment
which everyone was stopping to admire (and smell). These days one might
expect there to be a plan of such things online. Sure, in this case it
would mostly be plane, but there are some unusual ones too. Anyone any
ideas how one might get this information? TIA

GIYF. Try one of these.

http://tinyurl.com/mzswjyx or http://tinyurl.com/or2bh97
or http://tinyurl.com/pvndzzy or http://tinyurl.com/oqwu9bt

Wow! Thank you so much for posting those links. I'm not all that great
at identifying European trees and those links will be a great help to me
and make me observe the tree before I get near a computer.

I have the Collins Guide to British Trees but somehow it's never with me
when I come across an unfamiliar tree.
The Natural History Museum survey is interesting but records only one
tree in the whole of St.James Park! And now the survey is closed.
I hope it won't be long before a smartphone app emerges that tells you
what sort of tree you're standing next to. Technically doable but are
there enough arboriculturists?