Old 20-07-2015, 09:46 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Martin Brown Martin Brown is offline

Default Avocado plant

On 20/07/2015 08:50, Kenty224 wrote:

Hi I am a new memeber . Has anyone had any success in planting an
avocado plant in Middx. I have just been given a plant approx 12 inches
high. Don't know if to keep it in a pot or put in garden. Or is it not
worth the effort. Any advise would be great thanks

It is a tree I have grown one as far as about 8' and it isn't really
worth the effort apart from for novelty value. They grow easily but all
you get is a leggy stick with a tuft of leaves at the top.

It is far too tender to survive outdoors in the UK and would only reach
flowing size here in a very large heated greenhouse. In the tropics you
could grow it outdoors where falling fruit dent cars.

If you want a hardy exotic looking plant in the UK ginko biloba is
pretty good but will take a long while to reach fruiting size (and you
probably want a male anyway - the fruit pulp smells awful).

Coffee and peanuts are just about doable indoors or in a greenhouse in
the UK and the former is quite an appealing plant.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown