Old 21-07-2015, 11:07 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Tropical fruit seeds

Reading the "Avocado plant" thread reminded me that there are quite a
few tropical and sub-tropical fruits that are available in supermarkets,
etc, that can provide seeds. Most plants from them will only last a year
or two before outgrowing the windowsill or conservatory, but are worth
trying nonetheless. Apart from avocado, lychee, custard apple, papaya,
passion fruit, and of course date will provide viable seeds. I've never
tried growing a rambutan, mangosteen, or mango, though. Anyone here
tried growing one?

At the present I'm growing a "sharon fruit" (persimmon). Although I've
been eating these for years, it's very rare for them to have seeds, let
alone viable ones. The plant might be passably hardy (a bit like
Eriobotrya japonica), but like that species I doubt that it will fruit here.

A couple of months ago I found another source of "tropical seeds" from
fruits which are rare in the UK. These were in a Chinese supermarket.
One was a pack of longans. I've not seen these in the UK for years, but
they are quite nice to eat. All the fruits germinated - I've now got a
couple of dozen plants! More interestingly, I found a pack of something
called "Sour santol". I've never come across these before. IMHO the
fruits are pretty much a waste of time - slightly acid with little
flavour. They have very big seeds in them, and more in hope I stuck a
couple in a pot and put it next to the gas boiler. About 6 weeks on I
have a nice plant!

Next time I go I'll have a look and see if there is anything else of
interest. There were jackfruit pieces in packs, some with seeds in them,
but I don't think I'll bother with those. I just wish that there were
some which grew into bushes rather than trees, and might fruit in a
conservatory. The only one I can think of (other than citrus) is
physalis, but I've never found these particularly tasty.

--

Jeff