Old 21-07-2015, 03:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Tropical fruit seeds

In article ,
Pam Moore wrote:

Next time I go I'll have a look and see if there is anything else of
interest. There were jackfruit pieces in packs, some with seeds in them,
but I don't think I'll bother with those. I just wish that there were
some which grew into bushes rather than trees, and might fruit in a
conservatory. The only one I can think of (other than citrus) is
physalis, but I've never found these particularly tasty.

I can recommend not bothering with dragonfruit, though the flowers
are very attractive. There are quite a lot of others, including
tree tomato (a small tree) and passion fruit, but all are a bit iffy,
and keeping them under control might conflict with fruiting.

years ago Bob Flowerdew recommended Guava as a good plant to grow from
seed obtained from the fruit, but I have never seen a guava on sale in
supermarkets. Has anyone tried?

Yes. No joy, but I suspect that the fruit was picked green and
'ripened' artificially, from the lack of taste. That's why I don't
usually bother with sub-tropical fruit in the UK - people who have
never had ripe ones are more easily satisfied. And guava seeds are
very hard, so might need chipping.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.