Old 21-07-2015, 03:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
gogo[_3_] gogo[_3_] is offline

Default Tropical fruit seeds

On 21/07/2015 11:07, Jeff Layman wrote:
Reading the "Avocado plant" thread reminded me that there are quite a
few tropical and sub-tropical fruits that are available in supermarkets,
etc, that can provide seeds. Most plants from them will only last a year
or two before outgrowing the windowsill or conservatory, but are worth
trying nonetheless. Apart from avocado, lychee, custard apple, papaya,
passion fruit, and of course date will provide viable seeds. I've never
tried growing a rambutan, mangosteen, or mango, though. Anyone here
tried growing one?

I managed to grow a mango many years ago. It looked a bit like an
avocado plant, but slightly more "elegant"... As far as I remember, I
cleaned the stone fairly thoroughly then dry it for a little bit to
avoid risk of mould, then directly into compost.

I always wanted to try papaya as the leaves look very attractive. Are
they easy to grow?