Old 21-07-2015, 05:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
[email protected] jfflkjflkjflkdfj@gmail.com is offline

Default Tropical fruit seeds

On Tuesday, July 21, 2015 at 11:07:12 AM UTC+1, Jeff Layman wrote:
Reading the "Avocado plant" thread reminded me that there are quite a
few tropical and sub-tropical fruits that are available in supermarkets,
etc, that can provide seeds. Most plants from them will only last a year
or two before outgrowing the windowsill or conservatory, but are worth
trying nonetheless. Apart from avocado, lychee, custard apple, papaya,
passion fruit, and of course date will provide viable seeds. I've never
tried growing a rambutan, mangosteen, or mango, though. Anyone here
tried growing one?

Our local Pakistani-run shops sell lovely mangoes from Pakistan in season. The stones I always put in the compost, but they don't rot down in one season. Last year I found one had sprouted in the compost I used for my courgettes, it was coming up under the canopy when I cleared away the plants.

Not expecting it to survive a Manchester winter, I potted it up, but it propmptly died. It had nice long shiny leaves, next time I'll take more care of it.