Old 22-07-2015, 05:22 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Fran Farmer Fran Farmer is offline

Default Avocado plant

On 20/07/2015 5:50 PM, Kenty224 wrote:
Hi I am a new memeber . Has anyone had any success in planting an
avocado plant in Middx. I have just been given a plant approx 12 inches
high. Don't know if to keep it in a pot or put in garden. Or is it not
worth the effort. Any advise would be great thanks

I've read the responses to this thread with interest and I'd say to
plant one out and see what happens but there are a few techniques which
could help the tress survive. They do get very big once mature.

Anyhoo, the reason why I say this is because a very well known
Australian gardener by the name of Jackie French successfully grows
avocados outside in groves of trees in a cold valley where she gets
frost and snow.

Jackie appears on Canberra ACT radio regularly and Canberra is very cold
(down to -7C at some point in every winter). Jackie asked, on radio, if
anyone was successfully growing avos outside in Canberra and this is the
response she got:
http://blogs.abc.net.au/canberra/200...ocados-an.html

Both places mentioned (Macgregor and Queanbeyan)would have lower temps
during winter than the "official" temps given for Canberra as shown he
http://www.bom.gov.au/climate/averag...w_070282.shtml

I know where her place is located and I'm always astonished every time I
hear what she has growing there as supposedly it is impossible to grow
the plants she does in that cold place. This is how she has managed to
be so successful:
http://www.jackiefrench.com/groves.html