Old 22-07-2015, 08:38 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Fuchsia cuttings disaster

"Phil L" wrote in message
I've tried everything and I'm still getting 80+% failure with these
things.

I've followed a few website's advice, some say use hormone powder, some
say don't bother, I've not bothered.

I've been taking a 3-4 inch cutting from just below two leaves and
removing any flower buds, I've been taking off surplus leaves leaving just
two plus the growing tip.
I've tried getting them to root in water, but frankly two months is too
long i think, and this is before even very short fine roots appear, but
even then once they go into compost, they're shrivelled up within days.

I /may/ have been sucessful, although it's still early, but some I took a
fortnight ago and just shoved them into a pot containing ferns (very
shady area) seem to be holding up OK.

I've tried various light levels from full sun to full shade and not really
noticed any difference.
I've tried them with and without clear bags (for humidity) and this hasn't
made much difference neither.

Do they have a preference with regards to compost? - I've tried three
different brands and not noticed that any is better than another.

Is fertilizer a good or bad thing?

Is it the wrong time of year? - I thought if I took them late, they
wouldn't have time to root before winter.

Now is a good time, but you do need clean undamaged growth.
It sounds a lot like your problem is the potting medium you are using try
adding 50-75% perlite to a good quality brand. do not add any extra food.

Fuchsia will normally root in less than 7 days however you do them but as
with most cuttings direct sun is lethal so if using the bag covers white is
better than clear, good light but not hot.

Look for material that is stiff but still green, and check the cuttings
every day to see that they are not too wet or too dry, misting the tops by
hand may help.

--
Charlie, Gardening in Cornwall
and Lapageria rosea cvs