Old 23-07-2015, 05:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bob Hobden Bob Hobden is offline

Default Can you take cuttings from an Acer?

"Emery Davis" wrote

Bob Hobden wrote:

I wonder what would happen using a Sycamore (Acer pseudoplatanus)
seedling as the rootstock?

Wrong section of the genus. Grafting inter-section is a dicey business
in Acer and doesn't usually work. This said, pseudoplatanus is sometimes
considered "universal understock" so it might work once in a while. (For
grafting species that don't have a suitable in-section understock
available, pseudoplatanus is sometimes used, but there is a very high
failure rate).

Acer is a complicated species, you can look at the wiki page to get some
idea of this but they've over-complicated by including extinct species
and is neither accurate nor up to date taxonomy-wise.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Acer_species

Before anyone asks: some of the "evergreen" species (e.g. sempervirens)
are deciduous in our climate, some synonyms are double listed (e.g.
ceriferum=robustum) and some species are named 20 years out of date (e.g.
nigrum has been called saccharum ssp nigrum since de Jong's 1994
classification anyway)

What affect does that have on the final tree? Does using it as a rootstock
make the maple become quick growing and eventually larger than it should?
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.