Old 24-07-2015, 04:21 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Problems with variagated ceanothus

On 24/07/15 07:52, Peter James wrote:
My variagated ceanothus variety Silver Prince, is growing almost wild in
my front garden here in North Cornwall. Unfortunately most of the
growth is a of a plain green leaf with little or no variagation.

It has flowered on the green growth and looked OK. But we did choose
the plant for the variagation.

If I was to cut the plain growth out would the plant survive it seeing
as how most of the recent growth was of the plain green type leaf?
And would that cause it to produce variagated growth instead of the
plain green growth?

I'm not sure what you've got, but there is no variegated ceanothus
called "Silver Prince". There is one called Ceanothus griseus var.
horizontalis "Silver Surprise", and a few other plants - not ceanothus -
called "Silver Prince".

If you do have Ceanothus griseus var. horizontalis "Silver Surprise", I
am surprised that it is showing so much reversion to all green leaves. A
search on Google revealed almost no mention of reversion in a variegated
ceanothus. I grew Ceanothus "Zanzibar" for around 10 years and as far as
I remember never saw any all-green branches. As the other answers
suggest, the only way round the problem with your plant is to cut out
the all-green branches. Other than that, dig it up and get another
variety of variegated ceanothus.

--

Jeff