Old 24-07-2015, 10:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Janet Janet is offline

Default Problems with variagated ceanothus

In article ,
lid says...

On 24/07/2015 10:57, Janet wrote:
The solution is to cut out ALL reverted (green) growth as soon as you
notice it; prune right back to a variegated stem, behind where the
reversion occurred.

Not just variegated. My corkscrew hazel keeps producing healthy straight
shoots, and I keep cutting them off. Seems kind of cruel to cut off the
healthy bit, and leave the diseased corkscrew part.

At least, I assume the corkscrew is a virus?

A genetic mutation, afaik.

I am betting your corkscrew hazel is grafted onto normal hazel
rootstock, and the straight growth comes from below the graft .

Janet