Old 26-07-2015, 04:18 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Bumper apple crop this year?

"Jeff Layman" wrote in message
Despite the strange weather this year, the apple tree (unknown variety of
eater, but looks to be 40 or 50 years old) is covered in apples. So much
so that I've had to prop up one of the branches which is touching the
ground. And that is after the June drop and thinning out! I'm wondering
what will happen as we finally got some rain yesterday - 30 mm - and no
doubt the apples will swell and add even more weight to the branch.

Looks like a decent crop of plums, too. Actually, I'm not sure what they
are, as they are around the size of a damson, but a lighter burgundy-red
colour. I thought the tree was just ornamental, as it has attractive
purple-bronze leaves, and flowers fairly early. We've been here three
years, and this tree, which is, I guess, as old as the apple tree, only
had a couple of dozen fruits last year, and none the first year.

Anyone else getting a good crop of top fruit?

--

Jeff

My apple trees look to have plenty of fruit on, but damsons and plums not
so. Looks like no damson gin for Christmas this year.

Tina