Old 26-07-2015, 05:21 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Bumper apple crop this year?

On Sun, 26 Jul 2015 08:49:52 +0100, Jeff Layman wrote:

Anyone else getting a good crop of top fruit?

Glad to hear you'll have apples, Jeff. We had almost none last year, but
this year looks quite good, depending on which variety. Reine de Renette
and Fuji are bursting with fruit, Reinette Blanche d'Espagne and Boskoop
are decent but not exactly a bumper crop. Time will tell how they turn
out, because it really is dry as can be. Thanks be we had a little rain
today but only around 10mm.

Otherwise cherries were very good with many kgs picked, eaten and put
up. I think we have about 10 pies in the freezer. Big crop of peaches
but unless it rains they will be bitter, good only for preserves. We had
quite a few red currants with little crops of cassis, raspberries,
tayberries and loganberries, along with maybe a couple of pounds of
gooseberries. Adele made the whole thing into multi-berry jelly which is
excellent.

No plums or damsons which is really unusual. No pears (well a few that
made it past the drop) which is less unusual. Looks like a decent
hazelnut crop, but no walnuts. Again.

--
Gardening in Lower Normandy