Old 28-07-2015, 12:16 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Fran Farmer Fran Farmer is offline

Default mystery bulbs

On 28/07/2015 6:55 AM, Phil L wrote:

I've got about 50 of them and there must be another 4 - 5 hundred scattered
around the site

I never say no when I'm offered bulbs of any description given that I
have a large garden. They're invariably offered when I have no spot at
all available to put them so I have to quickly find a temporary home for
them as I hate to see good bulbs go to waste.

If you too don't like such waste, I can recommend polystyrene
fruit/vegetable boxes as a good temp home. I've sometimes shoved them
in many layers deep in potting mix and left them there for far longer
than is right, but the insulation provided by the polystyrene seems to
work to keep them alive and in good nick. I still have one iris
languishing in the potting slum in an old broccoli box and it's been
there for at least 3 years and is doing well despite the light level
being lower than optimal.