Old 31-07-2015, 04:07 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
[email protected] gbeccles@gmail.com is offline

Default clover, weeds

On Wed, 29 Jul 2015 08:04:42 -0400, Derald wrote:

wrote:

Clover 'fixes' nitrogen, which is a good thing to do.

Good for the clover, yes.

My first
question is, does this help nearby plants while the clover is growing,
or does the clover first need to be turned under, and then benefits
others in the future?

The second proposition.
To release the fixed N in clovers for use by other forages, the
topgrowth must be recycled through grazing animals or through
plant decomposition.

http://www.uaex.edu/publications/pdf/FSA-2160.pdf

See, also:
http://www.csun.edu/~hcbio027/biotechnology/lec10/lindemann.html.

In the above, a text search on "return" lands on the relevant paragraph.

A related question (I think): do weeds do harm, at the root level?

Sometimes. Pins things right down, doesn't it?

Obviiously, shading out the 'good' plants would harm them. And, there
are specific cases where the 'weed' produces chemicals that inhibit
other plants. (think, Black Walnut.) But, for run-of-the-mill garden
weeds/grasses, just growing together with my vegetables, how much are
the weelds really depriving my guys of water/nutrients? They
certainly don't seem to bother the other weeds.

Who knows?

Those links are enlightening. Thanks.
As to the weeds, I'll keep fighting them.