Old 01-08-2015, 11:16 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Boron Elgar[_2_] Boron Elgar[_2_] is offline

Default Damned Leaf Spot

On Sat, 1 Aug 2015 12:58:29 +1200, "~misfit~"
wrote:

I am as close to organic as one can get - at least when the bugs are
OUTSIDE my house, but Serenade (way overpriced bottle of liquid it is,
too), being a biological, doesn't offend me instantly.

I try to be as organic as possible but finances especially dictate that I
compromise from time to time. However if and when I do compromise I try to
use older 'tried and true' low-impact substances.

I recommend putting in as wide a variety of tomatoes as you can
accommodate, and include a few cherrys. Even when the weather
decimates the large fruit plants, I always manage to get some harvest
from the cherries. Makes for odd sandwiches, but they are tasty.

True. I usually grow three or four varieties including a cherry tomato but,
as the previous year the Grosse Lisse was by far my favourite and I'm having
to cut back a bit on non-tree food growing (essentially 'soil working') I
decided to just grow the Grosee Lisse last year. Lesson learned.

Spring is a gardener's season on hope, late summer is one of distress.

I have squirrels or chipmunks raiding the tomatoes. Lost a lot this
week.

I will set some mouse traps around a few plants, but who knows what
approach the critters are using.