Old 04-08-2015, 07:24 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
~misfit~[_4_] ~misfit~[_4_] is offline

Default Winter tomatoes grown under lights...

Once upon a time on usenet Derald wrote:
I'm no expert and plan to do a little reading on the subject, myself,
but tomatoes' light requirement are high; are you sure the 'maters are
getting enough light and of the correct color?

Hi Derald. Yes - I erred on the side of too much light rather than too
little, attempting to keep internodes short. Not hard to do with high-power
LEDs and a small area. As for wavelength I'm using a 50/50 mix of 8:1
red:blue 'grow spectrum' LEDs (with most output at 450 and 650nm) and cool
white "full spectrum". The leaves look amazingly healthy, very dark green,
with a hint of purple. The kind of colour you only see when you're giving
them the equivalent of more than two times 'full sun' levels of light with a
good dollop of near-UVB.
--
Shaun.

little classification in the DSM*."