Old 08-08-2015, 03:16 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Winter tomatoes grown under lights...

On 8/8/2015 8:46 AM, Derald wrote:
"~misfit~" wrote:

So it seems I had half of the answer, knowing about 'buzz pollination' of
tomato flowers. A quick Google gave me the other half (now that 10+ flowers
have dropped off each of the two sprays). An electric toothbrush seems to be
the best way to pollinate tomato flowers - the vibrations cause the pollen
to fall onto the style the same way as a bumble bees vibrations do.

Now I just need to find a cheap battery powerd toothbrush. I just tickled
the three or four remaining flowers with my Braun Oral-B but it would be
nicer to have a dedicated cheaper tool for the job.

Good idea. How do you know which model to use? Seems to me one
would need to try to match the bumblebees' frequencies. We have several
bumblebee subs native to my state (Florida), none of which was
introduced to NZ, but I don't think I've ever noticed them working
tomatoes, although a variety of other native bees certainly do. I'd be
interesting in reading your results.

Good idea Derald. Before the new subdivision went in we had plenty of
bumblebees but they seldom worked the tomatoes as long as the salvia was
blooming. That one plant seemed to be their favorite. Honey bees and
native bees such as mason and carpenter bees, plus the native wasps,
seemed to like the tomatoes better. Either that or they went to the
tomatoes because they were afraid of the large bumbles.

Hot and dry here, we're in a drought again. The raised beds need
watering daily so we do it in late evening with the soaker hoses. I'm
still working on the design for a pvc soaker system, will probably put
it in when cooler weather comes in, if it comes in at all.

Some of our neighbors aren't even watering their lawns or plantings and
their property is brown now. I don't think the dead looking hedges and
live oak trees are going to come back even if we get rain.