Old 10-08-2015, 01:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Malcolm Ogilvie Malcolm Ogilvie is offline

Default Anchoring down aluminium frame greenhouse.

On Sun, 09 Aug 2015 14:16:31 +0100, Justin Thyme wrote:

I am thinking of buying one of thee:
http://www.greenhousesdirect.co.uk/G...est%206ft/6x6/
and erecting it myself. It will be placed on concrete paving slabs.
The manufacturer write of anchoring down the greenhouse, what does that
entail exactly?

I live by the sea and experience regular gales.

After losing my last greenhouse to a storm, its 10 x 6 foot replacement is fixed thus:

It came with a separate 5-inch-tall base frame which is attached at the corners to
2-feet-long galvanised angle-irons concreted into the ground and protruding the necessary
5 inches. I've bolted the greenhouse to the base roughly every foot along the four sides,
which was about three times the frequency recommended in the construction manual.

At about six inches out from each corner, I hammered a 7-foot-long, 2-inch angle-iron into
the ground for about 30 inches. Galvanised wire was then threaded through three pairs of
holes in the angle irons and through the corner posts of the greenhouse.

To ensure the polycarbonate sheets don't vibrate out of their provided clips (which is
what happened with the previous one), I have bolted c.15-inch lengths of half-inch
angle-iron into the frame along the four sides of each sheet thus acting as clamps, while
further strips are bolted across the middle of the larger sheets.

In case this seems overkill, my greenhouse survived winds gustnig to 93 mph two winters
ago. My neighbours were not so fortunate.