Old 10-08-2015, 05:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Janet Janet is offline

Default Anchoring down aluminium frame greenhouse.

In article , david@abacus-
nurseries.co.uk says...

On 09/08/2015 14:16, Justin Thyme wrote:
I am thinking of buying one of thee:
http://www.greenhousesdirect.co.uk/G...est%206ft/6x6/
and erecting it myself. It will be placed on concrete paving slabs. The
manufacturer write of anchoring down the greenhouse, what does that
entail exactly?

What I did was to take out a shallow trench, then put down 2 to 3 inches
of concrete and set a row of concrete blocks to form the base, the
blocks were set onto the wet concrete and had wooden wedges set into
every 2nd joint (narrow end up)
When the blocks are set a 4x1 inch plank was nailed to the wedges; with
a damp proof membrane between the blocks and the wood; and a few masonry
nails used as well.
then when assembled the base of the greenhouse was screwed to the wooden
plank with screws every 18 inches.
This does mean you have a step into the greenhouse but it also means
that you have an extra 9 inches of headroom.

At our previous place (exposed high moorland) J dug a 6" wide trench
same proportions as GH, poured and leveled concrete, then when set hard
drilled holes for expanding bolts. The GH was erected on the concrete
then bolted to it through the bottom edge of the frame. 100 mph winds
have never shifted it in 30 years.
Useful to lay a couple of sections of old pipe in the concrete as
conduits, in case later on you want to bring in power or water etc.

Janet.