Old 11-08-2015, 02:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bob Hobden Bob Hobden is offline

Default Still no runner beans

"Broadback" wrote

CT wrote:
David Hill wrote:

Looks like dry set to me, give the plants a GOOD soak, and I don't
mean a can of water along a 10 ft row, you want enough water to go
down about 12 inches into the ground, about 2 gallons every foot or
so, you may have to go over the ground a few times in an hour to get
enough water down, then a good soak every 3 or 4 days, they don't
like dry roots. Even with the rain we have been having in South
Wales I am still watering my beans.

That's interesting. I haven't watered my runners in weeks, mainly as I
didn't think they'd need it. Anyway, they're giving a decent enough
crop at the moment, so it can't be too bad!

Mine are in abundant flower, but too early for the beans. How do people get
them so early? Perhaps they live in the effete South.;-)

Effete? It's been like gardening in a desert here this year, after carting
40 watering cans up the plot each time it gets a bit wearing. Been eating
Runners for a couple of weeks or more but we water them every visit to the
plot as we do the tomatoes and cucurbits.
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.