Old 11-08-2015, 06:34 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bob Hobden Bob Hobden is offline

Default Still no runner beans

"Lintama" wrote

There is a hedge of rather high Leylandii trees only about four feet
away and I often hear birds chirping from there. Next year I will have
to grown them somewhere else. I hadn't thought about birds as I hadn't
seen any birds near the beans but perhaps very early in the morning they
are up to no good. I will see if I have some old CDs to hang amongst
the bean plants for the rest of the season.

Many thanks Bob for your suggestion. It does make sense.

If it is those birds, sparrows usually, then try growing the white flowered
beans (White Lady, Moonlight, etc) which they don't seem to go for, or mix
them like me half red and half white. Even looks prettier if you do a couple
of each alternately. :-)
They also don't appear to go for the salmon flowered bean Celebration.
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.