Old 12-08-2015, 06:36 AM posted to rec.gardens
Fran Farmer Fran Farmer is offline

Default Dahlia query UK

On 11/08/2015 2:51 AM, John McGaw wrote:
On 8/10/2015 9:31 AM, Michelle41 wrote:
Michelle41;1015579 Wrote:
hello my fellow gardening geeks, I've really gotten into gardening this
year as my other half made me some large planters out of our old
Decking, So I toddled off and bought loads of plants to fill one of
them.

Anyways. My question is. How do I know when the Dahlias are finished for
the season, and how do I go about storing them for next years planting
out?
Thank you.

Ok so nobody knows what to do with Dahlias when winter comes on this
gardening forum?

I did not venture an answer because you seemed specifically to want some
special UK information and I've never grown them there. I can say that
in the rest of the world's temperate regions, one usually waits until
the first killing frost but before the soil freezes to dig and store
tubers in a cool darkish location with good air circulation (I always
hung mine in mesh onion bags in the cellar).

A partial Ditto from me. I don't live in the UK or grow dahlias there
either but I too wait for them to be hit by frost before I either dig
them up and store over winter in sawdust inside a polystyrene box under
cover, or, the more usual thing I do is to just leave them in the ground
and divide them the next spring, or more usually, just let them grow up
the next spring undivided. Mind you, I live in a much drier climate
than the UK and so don't have to worry about rot over winter. I do get
very savage frosts through winter (down as far as -9 degrees C
sometimes) and that doesn't seem to worry the dahlias left in the ground.

BTW Michelle, you may be posting through gardenbanter but this group is
an international group not just a UK one and most of us post directly to
usenet groups and we don't use gardenbanter.