Old 12-08-2015, 04:29 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
T[_4_] T[_4_] is offline

Default Finally

On 08/11/2015 05:11 PM, George Shirley wrote:
Just about O dark thirty we gratefully received about half an inch of
rain in less than an hour. Weather folk keep saying more is coming but I
haven't seen anymore.

It's amazing how much the plants perked up with just that much rain.
Temperatures dropped rapidly from 104F to the mid-nineties, making it
much better here and the AC isn't running as much as it was.

Naturally there aren't many plants left in the gardens. We still have
the sweet chiles and the eggplant plus the two new yellow squash but all
the others are now mowed and in the composter. We need some cool weather
to get out there and add our amendments to the raised beds and stir them
into the whole bed. I'm putting in a goodly amount of peat moss again in
hopes it will help to hold the water for the plants to use. That and
some really good compost is about all that we need to replenish the beds.

We seeded some earth worms from Territorial back in the spring just as
the soil was warming up. Pulling the lima beans yesterday exposed some
nice sized earth worms who immediately dove back under the planting
medium. Hopefully they will colonize the whole property eventually.

Nothing much going on here but hiding from the high heat levels.

George

Hi George,

Where do you hail from?

We got a thunderstorm here on Sunday in Northern Nevada
that was something to behold. Plants loved it. You could
almost see them grow. (They love the nitrogen in the rain
water.) Very loud on the roof! But, no hail fortunately.

-T