Old 13-08-2015, 12:53 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Terry Coombs Terry Coombs is offline

Default what's up

songbird wrote:
Steve Peek wrote:
Apparently there are at least 2 types of buckwheat honey. The
eastern variety is as black as can be with an aroma and flavor
somewhere between old vitamins, cough syrup and strong blackstrap
molasses. The local "tofu/granola" types think darker and stronger
is healthy and good for you similar to dark greens being more
healthy. I agree that buckwheat is great bee fodder especially at
that time of year when little else is available.

i happen to like molasses so this description just makes
me think that someday i'll have to find some and give it
a try.

songbird

If the buckwheat I just ordered actually sprouts , I'll let you know . Not
sure which variety I'm getting , but it doesn't matter much . This time of
year the focus is on getting the hives up to weight to winter well and have
the resources (bees + food/pollen) to build up in time to catch the spring
flows . Without swarming ... it's a fine line !

--
Snag
4 hives and growing ...