Old 15-08-2015, 03:21 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
The Cook The Cook is offline

Default Preservation equipment question

On Sat, 15 Aug 2015 10:05:07 -0400, Derald wrote:

"Terry Coombs" wrote:

This unit has a fan plus the heater , Nesco model FD-37 400 watt .
Supposed to process a LOT faster than the straight convection units . I'm
going to try some tomatoes early next week , and probably some deer jerky
this weekend .

I think your neighbor just wasn't as conscientious about cleaning
his as some might have been. I have two ancient 6-tray Nesco "Harvest
Maid" units. A light spraying with Pam or some such definitely will
help with jerky. Some other items (such as tomatoes) might need tray
liners. Nesco sells two types of liners, a fine mesh "clean-a-screen"
and a solid liner intended for fruit leathers but which works with other
items. Home-brew liners may be made from newspaper, wax paper, "kraft"
paper (obsolete paper grocery bags), window screen (not copper) and
"sheer" textile fabrics (voille, cheesecloth, etc.) both work well for
home-brew liners. Any liner will slow the process, a solid liner more
than a mesh liner. If your dryer is a double-wall model, tray liners
will not slow the process significantly but some items will require more
attention because they'll need to be turned or "shaken up" from time to
time since vertical flow through the trays is interrupted. If your
dryer is not a double-wall model, then trade up :-) For just about all
items, slower drying at cooler temperatures produces better results.

I have 3 of the Harvest Maid dehydrators. When I first got mine I
bought plastic "embroidery" sheets and cut them to size. I can take
them out and wash them when too much stuff gets stuck on them.

I usually run 4 to 6 trays when I have a large enough harvest. I
have had in the past, when I had more energy, all 3 machines filled
with all of my trays. I bought many of my extra trays at yard sales.

Boy do I wish I had that much energy again.
--
USA
North Carolina Foothills