Old 15-08-2015, 10:36 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Preservation equipment question

On 8/15/2015 3:56 PM, adule wrote:
On 8/14/2015 11:37 PM, Terry Coombs wrote:
I bought a dehydrator to preserve veggies and meats . I'm wondering if
there's a way to keep the trays from getting nasty . I ask because I
borrowed one from my neighbor and the trays had a build up of "stuff"
that
had been processed in the unit - mostly residue from making jerky .
Cooking
spray ? Line the trays with screen or hardware cloth ? Cheesecloth ?
Or did
he just not clean his properly after use ?
This unit has a fan plus the heater , Nesco model FD-37 400 watt .
Supposed to process a LOT faster than the straight convection units . I'm
going to try some tomatoes early next week , and probably some deer jerky
this weekend .

My last experience with a similar task was drying some Bulgarian
Carrots, Habs, and misc. other chilis in the oven in preparation for
grinding them into custom pepper. Okay, the wife did all the work, but I
watched without getting in the way. I do recall watching her line
shallow baking pans with parchment paper and placing the peppers on
same. Worked like a champ and we have enough home-ground pepper for the
entire planet.
AD

Good man, hope you didn't try to tell her how to do it. Mine gets mad
when I try to help her, the puir thing.