Old 16-08-2015, 03:28 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default what's up

On 8/16/2015 1:56 AM, ~misfit~ wrote:
Once upon a time on usenet George Shirley wrote:
On 8/15/2015 7:33 PM, ~misfit~ wrote:
Once upon a time on usenet Steve Peek wrote:
On Wednesday, August 12, 2015 at 8:41:27 PM UTC-4, ~misfit~ wrote:
Once upon a time on usenet Steve Peek wrote:

[snipped]

we have lots of preserving going on now. I grew a new (to me) crop
this year called "West Indian Burr Gerkin". They have a tart
cucumber flavor but are supposedly not related to cucumber. They
look like watermelon plants with dozens of little spiky green
balls on them. They don't appear to be susceptible to mildew or
cucumber beetles, so they may become my new pickle plant.

Is this them?
http://www.worldcrops.org/crops/Maxixe.cfm

Because they *are* cucurbits, in the same family as cukes.

Cheers,

that's them, same family, different genus. Mine don't seem to be
that large without getting inedible seeds. They're very tasty
similar to cucumber but more tart.

I was just making a rhubarb tart last night (lidless pie - much
easier than lidding it and lower pastry to fruit ratio) and my mind
wandered, as it does... I came to the conclusion that I definitely
need more tart in my life.

You left the s off tarts. G

LOL! Good to see I'm not the only one who thinks like that. I Left the
's' off in case I was.

Nope, there's lots of us out there. My tart chasing ended 57 years ago
but I can still remember those days. G