Old 17-08-2015, 01:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Any use for overgrown courgettes?

In article ,
Emery Davis wrote:
On Mon, 17 Aug 2015 08:09:19 +0100, Broadback wrote:

I am sure I am not alone in this, when I go to harvest my courgettes
inevitably I miss one or two, so next time to go they are over large.
What can these small marrows be used for? Up until now I put them on the
compost heap, any ideas please?

They go pretty well on the BBQ with a teriyaki-type marinade. You need a
low enough fire to give them time to soften, then cut the skin off before
serving.

Moderately overgrown ones are OK if there is something to give them
some taste, though they are mostly mush. Immoderately overgrown ones
are best recycled in the way that the OP mentioned :-)

For people who have the space, I very strongly recommend Trombonchino
d'Albenga, as a 'courgette' that remains tasty and with good texture
even at huge sizes.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.